Monday, January 10, 2011

Feed a family of 4 at McDonalds for $8 for under 500 calories each

I am a total nutrition nerd. Some people surf the 'net for interesting things, like videos of annoying oranges. But oh no, I am not nearly that cool. Instead, I surf fast food sites for their nutritional value charts. Hi, my name is Missy and I have spent hours pouring over Taco Bell's fresco menu. ("Hi Missy!")

I am also one of the biggest tight asses you'll ever find when it comes to money. In my household, we rarely eat out. And if we do, Happy Meals are a TREAT. I also whip my children daily with a leather straps and regularly tie them to a tree in the yard and throw snowballs at them.

Do you hae ANY idea how much the American family spends on eating out each week? Yeah, I don't either but I bet it's a lot. Also...seriously! Do you know how many calories the average American eats every single DAY? Okay, I don't know that one either, but I bet it's more than it should be. So, when we go to McDonalds on my watch, we each get the following:

  • A regular cheeseburgers ($1)
  • Either a fruit and yogurt parfait or apple dippers (each $1)
  • A large water (FREE!)

It's two bucks per person and under 500 calories. I KNOW!

I think the cheeseburger/fruit and yogurt parfait is pretty much the perfect fast food meal. You get all four food groups (bread and granola, yogurt and cheese, fresh berries and...pickles?, plus a teeny little meat patty). It's a grand slam of delicousness and frugality all rolled up into one!

OK, OK. I know you're saying "Come on now. How am I gonna satisfy my man with a puny little cheeseburger and a water?" First, GIRL, let me tell you-- my boyfriend is 6' 2", 220 and this meal is perfect for him. If he's particularly hungry, he gets a McDouble (90 extra calories and still $1!) and an extra McChicken (also $1!) You're still under $10 and he his arteries are still relatively unclogged.

So, next time you're lamenting your financial situation, or the size of your ass, but you can't face making dinner AGAIN, swing through McDonalds and order the Smart Girl Special! (Or, just ask for a cheeseburger and a fruit and yogurt parfait. That would probably be better.)

No comments:

Post a Comment